Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sometimes I forget........

.....to update my blog :/ Or maybe I'm just SUPER busy traipsing all over New York. Or maybe I'm just lazy. hahaa, you decide :)

Anyway, it has been a few weeks since my last post and so much has happened! Most importantly, I FINALLY got a part time job since I have to keep paying rent back in Austin. I got a job teaching swim lessons to little kids at this camp in Park Slope in Brooklyn. I've taught lessons before so it's no big deal, just glad to be getting somewhat of a paycheck again! Although, it is kind of lame since it takes away a lot of my weekend time, but I guess I gotta do what I gotta do!

My internship has gotten a little more interesting, although, my boss is still the most annoying man on the planet and sometimes I want to throw up on him when he talks. Other than that, I've been learning a lot of new and different things and from all my experiences I can tell that the job market won't be too desolate when I graduate. I should have more than just a few options, so that's a little comforting.

Speaking of my internship, all these cool concierge events we host are so fun to go to! Last night we had one at the new Titanic exhibit and it was soooooo interesting to get to see that. They had all types of artifacts from the ship and it was just crazy to see everything that was sunken under the ocean for almost 100 years. They has stuff like shoes, dishes, money, and actual pieces of the ship. It's crazy to think that those were someone's shoes at one point in time. Kind of creepy, but definitely a cool experience. Next week we have another event on a boat that goes around the island, and I'm sooo excited! It's like the New York version of booze cruise!!

After the exhibit last night, my roommate Kirsten (who came with me to the event) and I were famished so we wanted to grab a quick dinner. Since the exhibit was in Times Square, we figured we would just find somewhere to eat around there. BAD IDEA. We stopped in at a T.G.I.Fridays and as we were looking through the menu I almost had a heart attack: $18 for a burger at FRIDAY'S???!!!!! And $22 for some crappy pasta dish, are you freaking kidding me?! I couldn't even believe it, the prices were sooooo much higher than any Friday's I had ever been in, what gives them the right to mark up the prices by nearly 100%? I was absolutely blown away, that kind of thing makes me so angry! We ended up staying (not my idea) and Kirsten orded a soda that turned out to be $4.50! At least I know now not to eat in any kind of chain restaurant near Times Square EVER AGAIN, unless I want to run out of money and become a homeless hooker or something.

I love it here, but the worst thing about New York is how expensive it is to live here. Rent prices are crazy, restaurant and bar prices are ridiculous, and even groceries are absurdly expensive. There is a store called Gristedes across the street from my dorm, too bad I can't shop there since I don't have a damn trust fund. $6.50 for a frozen dinner, $7 for a small box of Cheerios, $5.50 for some peanut butter, NO THANK YOU! Those Cheerios better come with a free helicopter ride for that price!

Anyway, I guess I should stop bitching about the prices up here, seeing as how I wanted to move here so badly, but just be thankful that you can buy normal groceries at normal prices!

My roommates and a big group of our friends went to Atlantic City for the 4th of July, so I just chilled out for a few days and I was really sad that I wasn't at home on the lake eating some yummy bar-b-que with my favorite people :( It was a nice holiday nonetheless, a few friends from my dorm and I went to see the Macy's fireworks which were cool, even though we had a really crappy view from 11th Ave. Here are are few pictures from the show:
It was hard to get a good shot with all the buildings and people in the way.

This one is kind of cool.

This one would have been way better if that dumb kid wasn't in the way.

This one's my favorite, it's blurry but still really sweet.

Here's some of the group we went with, J.M., Yolanda, Alyssa, me and Chris.

The Chrises (Chris Corales and Chris Lorn) and I went exploring in Chinatown and Little Italy, here are some photos from our adventure:
We came across Ferrara, according to Chris Lorn it's famous, Google it.

Yuummmmmmmy treats at Ferrara. If this place isn't actaully famous, then it should be, because it's delish!

Look at all the goldfish!! So cool! Love the Chrises and love the fishes! :)

I was like a giddy little school girl when we found this! It was posted on a lightpole for people to move their cars because Gossip Girl was going to be filming on that street. I kinda wanna go check it out..... don't judge me!

The following photos are just a hodge podge of my NYC adventures.... BE JEALOUS! :)

Lazy Sunday in Central Park.... ahhhh so relaxing and beautiful!

THE Plaza Hotel! So regal! I'm a nerd.....

Elizabeth Street!!!! Why doesn't Austin have one??

One day after a storm the sky was all crazy so we took pics from our window.

More crazy, cotton ball clouds.

My roommate Alison and I out on the town, gotta love Cosmos!

Charlie, Alison, me, Jeff, and Brandie at a roof-top bar one night. The Empire State Building was right next door, such a cool view!

No comments:

Post a Comment